Choice of Coffin or Casket
How do you choose a coffin or a casket? A simple starting point is the advice we have given for generations: consider the shape, colour, materials and fittings. When choosing the shape, you may notice that a coffin is tapered at the head and the foot, whilst a casket has an uncomplicated rectangular shape.
View Our Extensive Range of Caskets & Coffins
Choice of Venue
Allison Monkhouse has several elegant and comfortable chapel for the service, and all filled with a sense of peace and comfort. Many of our chapels look over onto our own beautiful private gardens. All of our venues;
- Are a private space where you can take your time in farewelling your loved one, and where the service can be more personalised, reflecting the person and their impact on your life.
- Include large screens to display treasured photos and modern sound systems for every spoken memory or musical tribute to be heard clearly.
- Are spacious and comfortable, some accommodating up to 80 people seated and a further 70 standing in the overflow areas. (We do have access to even larger chapels, if required).
We help create meaningful, personalised events for you to say goodbye to your loved one in a way that reflects them and their life. From choosing a non-traditional location for the service or memorial, through to painting messages on the coffin or casket, through to having special touches at the service such as bagpipe players or holding the service at a local yacht club because of the beautiful views they can offer, the ideas are endless and our team will help you find the best way to farewell and celebrate your loved one’s life.
Choice of Hearse
We have several hearses that your family may choose from.
- From our beautiful horse-drawn hearse, that was originally crafted in the 1820s in Holland, complete with Baltic Pine axles made in England. It was restored by a Castlemaine coach-builder in the 1990s and is an elegant and distinctive hearse to consider.
- Our Rolls Royce Hearse which arrived in Melbourne aboard S.S. Herminius on September 2, 1926, and has since been lovingly restored and is a very sophisticated and memorable hearse that reflects a bygone era.
- Our modern hearses have been custom designed by our team and won accolades for its design as a seamlessly integrated and elegant vehicle.
Provision of Family Transport
Gathering your loved ones and being together is so important during the death of a loved one and ensuring everyone in the family and close friend’s group can be together to travel to the service and other events on the day is vital. This is why we offer a chauffeur-driven service. We have a number of luxury cars that we can offer you from our expertly maintained, modern fleet of vehicles.
Choice of Keepsake Options
Allison Monkhouse has our own in-house media team able to produce and print high quality to keepsake options. Many of our families use this service, as it is easier for us to manage the production during this busy time, and our work always is complimented for adding a beautiful finishing touch to the ceremony. Through our professional media team we are able to provide:
- Tailored orders of service and bookmarks that suit the photos and content provided; none are made to a template and are all unique to reflect the person.
- Various memorial or signature books options.
- Religious stationary, such as santini cards.
Our in-house digital media team are skilled and well equipped to provide several different audio-visual options for the service. These productions are ideal for bringing people together to share precious moments and can add precious memories to the service. From photo tribute that remind people of past memorable moments, long after the funeral. Often they include many treasured photos set to a favourite piece of music.
Webcasting can help those who are unable to attend to take part. It also allows for family and friends who did attend to relive the beautiful moments of a funeral service.
Our thoughtful and well-considered refreshment menu is an opportunity for family and friends to together reflect on what your loved one meant to them while sharing light finger food and coffee and tea.
These can be served following the service in the areas adjoining our chapels or at another location of your choice.
At Allison Monkhouse we understand that the cost of funerals are often something we don’t think about until we need to, and it can be daunting facing all the available options. At Allison Monkhouse, we can work to help you choose the best way to say goodbye to your loved one, all while being supported by the Allison Monkhouse team.
There are four parts to be considered when costing a funeral. They are:
Our professional fees include the following:
- Funeral Service Fee
- Coffins or Casket Selection
- Administration fee
The cost of goods and services that we can arrange on your behalf such as cemetery or crematorium frees, celebrant or clergy fees, floral tributes and newspapers notices.
Optional Products and Services
There are additional charges if you choose to hold your funeral, viewing or rosary outside of normal business hours or if transport is required outside of the Melbourne metropolitan area. We can also offer a number of traditional and contemporary products and services to enhance your funeral.
We can also provide other services such as repatriation or exhumation if required.
Our Professional Costs
Our funeral service fee covers a comprehensive array of services that are required to arrange, plan, and conduct the funeral of your loved one. Costs include but are not limited to;
- Transfer of deceased from the place of death into our care, within the Melbourne metropolitan area, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Provision of mortuary care by experienced embalming staff.
- A complete funeral service at any of the Allison Monkhouse chapel locations across Melbourne on weekdays between 8am and 5pm. Alternatively, we can coordinate the service at an external venue such as your local church, crematorium chapel or reception venue within the Melbourne metropolitan area. *There may be an additional charge for external venue hire as charged by the venue operator.
- Provision of a design award winning hearse and driver for funerals held within the Melbourne metropolitan area.
- A viewing at any of the Allison Monkhouse chapel locations across Melbourne on weekdays between 8am and 5pm if required.
- Transportation of the coffin and attendance at any religious service or viewing prior to the funeral if required
- Guidance, care and attention from our team of professionally trained and experienced staff – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Funeral arrangements can be made either at one of our funeral homes or at an external location such as the family home.